Tuesday 17 September 2013

Doctors

I had an odd experience this morning, which I thought would best be explained by a small homage to Pinter.
Scene. A doctor's reception desk.
_ Good morning, I have an appointment today with Louise? My name is Simon Morgan.
_ I don't know who you mean.
Pause.
_ She's a therapist.
_ This is just a doctor's surgery, I don't know a Louise.
 Pause.
- Ummm....it's for 09:15? This is West Pottergate isn't it?
- It is.
Pause.
_ It's through NHS Wellbeing.
_ That's nothing to do with us. This is a doctor's surgery.
Pause.
_ I was told to come here...( Produces letter. Receptionist takes letter. Reads it, hands it back.)
_ That's nothing to do with us. This is a doctor's surgery.
Pause.
_ Yes, you said. Could you look on your computer perhaps?
Pause.
_ That's nothing to do with us. This is a doctor's surgery.
Pause.
_ I'm sure that I wouldn't get sent a letter stating it was here at West Pottergate Health Centre unless it was.
_ We don't have anything to do with any other services that may or may not operate from out of the doctor's surgery.
_ Does anyone else know where it might be?
_ That's nothing to do with us. This is a doctor's surgery.
Pause.
Louise appears from behind me.
_ Hi Simon, take a seat around the corner. ( I look around the corner, obscured from the reception desk, a sign reads 'NHS Wellbeing' )
-Well, that's it there! The Wellbeing Service.
_ Yes. The Wellbeing Service is around the corner.
Pause.
 -But it's nothing to do with us. This is a doctor's surgery.
Curtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment